Bay Shore is bringing back its Trunk or Treat car show for this year’s Haunted Halloween Festival.
To help make the Halloween fest different last year, the Bay Shore Moms and Dads Facebook group organized the Trunk or Treat, where people from the community decorated their cars and gave away candy. It was a big hit.
“The children were delighted,” said Donna Periconi, president of the Greater Bay Shore Chamber of Commerce. “Seeing these cars decorated with these beautiful witches, pumpkins, and ghosts — and surprise — the trunk opens with a basket of treats.”
The group is seeking more cars to participate in this year’s event on Oct. 20 from 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (Scroll down to learn more.)
“We are so grateful to this group of moms and dads,” said Periconi. “We doubt there is any other community that has these many parents who work this hard to have a fun and safe Halloween.”
In addition to the adorned cars along Main Street, the day will consist of a parade, family-fun games, costume contest and the immensely popular haunted garden (times below).
The festivities are run by the Bay Shore Beautification Society, the Great South Bay YMCA, the Bay Shore Chamber of Commerce/BID, and Northwell Health.
to participate in Trunk or Treat
To decorate your car, contact either Valerie (516)-965-8117 or Angela (516)232-3817.
Haunted Halloween Festival lineup & details
- Around 4 p.m., the parade will kick off at Shore Lane and Main Street and will run west.
- Following that, there will be a red carpet costume contest outside of Band Shell Park on Main Street. There are three age groups: 9 and under, 10 and up, and family.
- From 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., there will be arts and crafts, games, and face painting at Band Shell Park.
- There will be a pumpkin decorating contest from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. across from the Community Garden.
- The Community Garden will be hosting its Haunted Garden spooky walk from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Top: File photo of a Trunk or Treat car at last year’s Haunted Halloween Festival. (Credit: Nicholas Esposito)